According to Justin Kroll of Variety, Robin Wright whose role has yet to be disclosed in Wonder Woman, is playing Diana’s (Gal Gadot) aunt.
Rumors had recently circulated about Wright’s role being rewritten to Hippolyta, but the studio kept Wright on as Diana’s aunt and cast Nielsen instead as her mother.
Justin Kroll released this information in the same article on Connie Nielsen’s casting as Hippolyta. It’s also important to note that Kroll was the first to report that Wright wasn’t cast to play Hippolyta, which turned out to be true.
In the comics Diana/Wonder Woman has a few amount of aunts technically.
- Antiope the sister of Diana’s mother Hippolyta, who’s the founding member of the Amazons of Bana-Mighdall, who is also worshiped as a sacred ancestor by the Amazons.
- Hera the sister and wife of Diana’s father Zeus, who’s the queen of the Olympian Gods and the Goddess of Marriage and Women.
- Hestia also sister of Zeus, who’s the virgin goddess of the hearth, architecture, and the right ordering of domesticity, the family, and the state, she hasn’t played a large role in comics.
- Demeter also sister of Zeus, who’s the goddess of the harvest, who has appeared in the New 52 Wonder Woman series.
If what Kroll reports is true, that Wright is playing Diana’s aunt, we speculate she’s most likely playing Antiope or Hera, what do you guys think?
- First Sneak Peek To Zack Snyder’s Justice League Released - June 22, 2020
- Warner Bros. To Host The First DC FanDome on August 22nd - June 16, 2020
- Pete Davidson Talks Very Little On His Character In The Suicide Squad - June 15, 2020