As reported in USA Today, we are in for a slew (well, 8 exactly) of new limited series, starring some familiar faces.
- Firestorm by original creator Gerry Conway
- Raven by original creator Marv Wolfman
- Swamp Thing by original creator Len Wein
- Katana: Cult of the Kobra by original creator Mike Barr
In addition, there will be some fresh takes on a few other characters as well:
- Poison Ivy: The Cycle of Life & Death by Amy Chu
- Metal Men by Len Wein
- Metamorpho by Aaron Lopestri
- Sugar & Spike by Keith Geffen
Beginning in early 2016, eight new six-issue miniseries will reintroduce old favorites back into the DC Universe and reposition them for the future — with the help of their original creators — while also giving other writing talent a chance to take on heroes that haven’t been seen for a while.
“By bringing them on to their own special limited series, we’re really spotlighting what’s so fantastic about these characters,” says Bob Harras, DC’s editor in chief and senior vice president for editorial.
“These comic books are born out of DC’s continuing push to diversify their line,” adds DC co-publisher Dan DiDio, and readers will also “see a lot of this feeding into that core sensibility of superhero storytelling.”
“Their task was to freshen up and contemporize,” DiDio says. “We want the best writers working on our characters, and these are the best writers for these characters.”
DC began revamping parts of its lineup in June that brought a lot of changes for signature heroes, from Jim Gordon donning the Batman moniker to a different outfit and outlook for Superman. According to DiDio, the new miniseries gives DC a chance to make similar tweaks to lesser-known characters and also test the waters to see if fans want more of them.
“This is about character but there is a complete story in every one of those miniseries,” DiDio says. “It has a beginning, middle and end, and something that affects the course of that character that we would be able to launch and take further if things are successful.”
So, which of these new series are you most excited for? Sound off in the comments below.
Latest posts by Mighty Icon (see all)
- DC Entertainment Hopes & Predictions For 2017 - January 21, 2017
- DC Entertainment 2016 Highlights - December 31, 2016
- Top Ten Characters We’d Like To See In Young Justice Season 3 - December 24, 2016